Update 06/18/14: The images to this post were accidentally deleted a long time ago, but the recipe is still the same and just as delicious. Soon I will be retaking photos and updating this post. Until then, please continue enjoying!
First things first: Do not be fooled by the lack of fixings on my burger. You can eat the burger alone and love it just the same.
Number 2: After a long day at work, all I want to do is come home and have dinner ready quickly.
Three: My meat-loving husband approves of these non-meat burgers. In fact, he actually told me the other day he liked these better than ground beef burgers. I don’t even know who he is anymore.
Spicy Bean Burgers
inspired by Eat, Live, Run
makes: 6 patties
time: 30 minutes
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 cup Panko crumbs
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
olive oil for frying
1. In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax and water. Let sit for five minutes.
2. Seed and roughly chop jalapeno. Add it and the garlic cloves to a food processor (or high speed blender) and mince finely.
3. Add one can of beans to the jalapeno/garlic mixture and pulse to combine. Add cumin and salt and pulse until mixture resembles chunky black bean dip.
4. Transfer the mixture in the food processor to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato sauce and flax. Stir well until everything is combined. Add remaining can of beans.
5. Heat a little olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Form bean mixture into patties and fry for about 4 minutes per side, until golden and crusty brown.
6. Serve burgers with sriracha sauce and any other toppings you might like.